Glassboro is quickly becoming the quintessential college town.
It was the glass industry that gave birth to Glassboro back in 1779. Established by Solomon Stranger, the town and factory were originally known as “Glass Works in the Woods.” By the 1840s, Glassboro had become one of the largest communities in Gloucester County, New Jersey. When the glass factory moved to the town’s periphery, commercial ventures began to take its place, resulting in the traditional downtown feel the community continues to this day.
In 1923, Glassboro became home of the New Jersey Normal School. Now known as Rowan University, it forms the basis of Glassboro’s growth, diversity, and evolution. While Glassboro remains rich in history, the vision for transforming Glassboro into the quintessential college town ensures a promising future.